Tucson Boxing

Martinez scratched from CBS Sports Network main event at Casino Del Sol

FOLLOW KACIE MUNSON ON TWITTER!

[rps-paypal]

Hanzel Martinez has been scratched from tomorrow’s main event at the Casino del Sol because of injuries sustained in an automobile accident.

[ezcol_1half id=”” class=”” style=””]


[/ezcol_1half]

[ezcol_1half_end id=”” class=”” style=””]

CBS SPORTS NETWORK SPECTACULAR FIGHT NIGHT

AVA AMPHITHEATER
CASINO DEL SOL

WHEN:

FRIDAY

Doors open to the public at 6:30 p.m.

First bout begins at 7:30 p.m.

CBS Sports Network starts airing the action live at 8 p.m.

[/ezcol_1half_end]

AllSportsTucson.com staff members Kacie Munson and Jose L. Roman Jr. contributed to this report

The stage was set for Hanzel Martinez, WBA’s No. 14 ranked super bantamweight contender. He was to star in the CBS Sports Networks’ main event for tomorrow night’s triple-header at Casino Del Sol’s AVA Amphitheater.

However, while talking to the Roy Jones Jr. Promotions staff at the official weigh-ins, we learned that “Rude Boy” Martinez (23-2, 18 KOs) was involved in a serious car accident yesterday in his hometown of Tijuana, Mexico. He is being held in a hospital for 72 hours for observation for a concussion, and neck and back injuries.

We were informed that since Martinez is no longer in the main event, his competition for the NABA-USA super bantamweight title, Prosper Ankrah (24-7, 15 KOs), will also unfortunately not be a part of tomorrow night’s action. An RJJ Promotions representative told us a bout involving Ankrah will possibly be scheduled in either June or July.

Our staff was on hand to witness the official weigh-in for tomorrow night’s nationally televised event. We noticed new names had been added to the card, and neither of the major names had been announced to the scale for the weigh-in.

We spoke with an RJJ Promotion’s representative who is in contact with Martinez’s manager and training staff, and were told, “He (Martinez) left the gym for his last workout. And instead of running home like he wanted to, his friend gave him a ride home. And he said about 10 minutes into the ride that’s when a truck hit them from behind.”

In addition, we were shown pictures of Martinez laying in a hospital bed, with a neck brace and his face obviously showing signs of trauma.

Because of this stunning development, we were informed that all the fights on the card were moved up, and a lightweight fight previously cancelled in Las Vegas — Christopher Turton against Randy Moreno — is back on again and will be a part of tomorrow night’s action.

Despite the changes to tomorrow night’s lineup, AVA Amphitheater and Southern Arizona are gearing up for a nationally televised series of bouts in front of a sell-out crowd of 5,000 boxing fans.

The eight-round junior welterweight bout between Emmanuel Robles (14-0-1, 4 KOs) and Gerardo Cuevas (17-15-1, 15 KOs) is upgraded to the main event. The co-main event will be a six-round fight between junior lightweights Keenan Carbajal (10-2-1, 5 KOs) and Lorenzo Trejo (35-31-2, 22 KOs).

This outdoor event will hopefully be just one of many more to come. RJJ promotions said they love the facility at Casino Del Sol, and that November could be a good month for another event.


To Top