FOLLOW @JAVIERJMORALES ON TWITTER!
[ezcol_1half id=”” class=”” style=””]
Information provided by the Arizona media relations department contributed to this report.
• With its 5-1 win over Miami on Saturday, Arizona improved to 6-0 all-time at TD Ameritrade Park in Omaha. The win gives the Wildcats a six-game win streak at the College World Series.
• The Wildcats have won 13 of their last 14 games and are 7-1 this postseason.
• Arizona improved to 39-27 all-time at the College World Series, tied with today’s opponent – Oklahoma State – for seventh-most victories in NCAA history.
• Arizona starter Nathan Bannister tied his career high with 11 strikeouts (April 22, 2016, at California). Bannister and Cameron Ming combined for 14 strikeouts, tying the team season high for strikeouts set April 9 against Washington State.
• Bannister’s 12th win puts him one shy of cracking the school’s all-time records chart. The last UA pitcher to reach victory No. 13 was Kurt Heyer in 2012. He improved his postseason record to 3-0 (in four starts) to go along with a 2.33 ERA. He has 25 strikeouts over 27 innings pitched. Bannister pitched at least six innings for the 13th consecutive start.
ARIZONA MOST PITCHING WINS SEASON
[table “” not found /]
• Arizona improved to 33-11 when scoring first this season, including 5-0 in the postseason.
• Center fielder Jared Oliva produced his eighth multi-RBI game of the season, but it was his first since April 4 at BYU.
• Second baseman Cody Ramer hit safely for the 15th straight game and reached base for the 17th contest in a row.
• Arizona has scored first in all six games it has played at TD Ameritrade Park. The Cats pushed across three runs in the top of the first inning. Dating to 2012, Arizona has scored 11 first-inning runs over its last four College World Series contests, while yielding no runs to opponents.
• Shortstop Louis Boyd’s leadoff double in fifth was his 10th of the season, becoming the sixth Wildcat with double-digit doubles this season. Boyd has now doubled in four straight games and five of the last eight. He has a five-game hitting streak.
• Doubles by right fielder Zach Gibbons and Boyd give the Wildcats 20 over eight postseason games (2.5 per game). The club averaged 1.7 doubles per game in the regular season.
• Arizona played error-free baseball for the fourth time in the last five games.
• Of the eight postseason games played to date, the Wildcats have held an opponent to one run or less on four
occasions. Factoring the 2012 College World Series, UA has held its opponent to exactly one run in its last three
games in Omaha.
[ezcol_1half_end id=”” class=”” style=””]
Junior RHP Bobby Dalbec will get the start for Arizona today vs Oklahoma State in the #CWS. Winner off till Friday. Loser faces elim Weds.
BOBBY DALBEC NOTES …
Second on the team with 10 wins. … Enters the CWS with a 10-4 record and a 2.92 ERA to go with his seven saves. … Coming off a dominating performance in the Super Regionals where he held SEC champion Mississippi State scoreless over 8 2/3 innings, striking out nine. … 2-0 in the postseason with a 2.30 ERA; Has 15 strikeouts in 15 2/3 innings. … Has held left-handed hitters to a .189 batting average. … Is holding hitters to a .226 average with runners on base. … Arizona is 19-7 in games Dalbec appears in. … Has gone at least six innings in each of his five starts. … Batters are hitting just .230 against him this season; has70 strikeouts in 80 innings.
OKLAHOMA STATE NOTES
· With the win Saturday over UC Santa Barbara, Oklahoma State improved to 39-36 all time at the College World Series.
· The win snapped a five-game losing streak at the College World Series for the Cowboys.
· The Cowboys last win at the event came on June 8, 1993, a 7-6 triumph over Texas.
· With his complete-game shutout, Thomas Hatch extended his scoreless innings streak to 26 in a row.
· The complete game was the fourth this season for Hatch and his first since May 6 against Prairie View A&M.
· With his single in the first, second baseman J.R. Davis has now reached base safely in 22 consecutive games.
· Davis added an infield single in the third, giving him his 24th multiple-hit game of the season.
· DH Conor Costello singled in the seventh to extend his hitting streak to 11 games in a row.
· OSU ranks second in the Big 12 with a 3.27 team ERA, with four Cowboys ranking in the top 10 in the league in ERA — Hatch (1st at 2.04), today’s starter Tyler Buffett (5th at 3.15), Jensen Elliott (6th at 3.27) and Trey Cobb (tied for 9th at 3.33).
· Buffett was reliable on the mound in his first two seasons in Stillwater, but he has taken on a starring role in 2016. In an OSU-record 35 appearances, 31 of those in relief, the junior right-hander is 8-2 with nine saves and a 3.15 ERA, with the eight wins and nine saves marking career highs. A unanimous All-Big 12 First Team pick, he leads the conference in appearances and ranks second in saves while he’s also in the top 10 in opponent batting average (.241) and ERA.
Today’s starter for Oklahoma State, Tyler Buffett, is a cousin of Warren Buffett ….
ALLSPORTSTUCSON.com publisher, writer and editor Javier Morales is a former Arizona Press Club award winner. He is a former Arizona Daily Star beat reporter for the Arizona basketball team, including when the Wildcats won the 1996-97 NCAA title. He has also written articles for CollegeAD.com, Bleacher Report, Lindy’s Sports, TucsonCitizen.com, The Arizona Republic, Sporting News and Baseball America, among many other publications. He has also authored the book “The Highest Form of Living”, which is available at Amazon.