FOLLOW @JAVIERJMORALES ON TWITTER!
[ezcol_1half id=”” class=”” style=””]
CATCH UP ON THE COUNTDOWN BY VISITING: ARIZONA’S TOP 100 INDIVIDUAL RECORDS
[ezcol_1half_end id=”” class=”” style=””]
Ka’Deem Carey began his incredible 100-yard streak spanning 16 games with his school-record 366-yard performance against Colorado on Nov. 10, 2012.
Only one day separates us from the start of Rich Rodriguez’s fifth season, when the Arizona Wildcats football team plays Brigham Young on Sept. 3 at the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale.
As is customary on this Web site, we will count down the days with an interesting element associated with each day. This year the topic is the top 100 individual records in Arizona’s storied football past.
In past years, we have counted down the top games and highlighted players and some of the top plays in Arizona Wildcats football history. A couple of years ago in our top 100 countdown, we showcased the 1914 team that was responsible for Arizona becoming the “Wildcats”.
Back to this year’s countdown of the top 100 individual records in the 117 years of Arizona football:
Most Consecutive 100-yard Rushing Games: 16, Ka’Deem Carey, from Nov. 10, 2012 (vs. Colorado), to Dec. 31, 2013 (vs. Boston College)
Pac-12 record: Carey
NCAA record: 31,Archie Griffin, Ohio St., from Sept. 15, 1973 (vs. Minnesota), to
Nov. 22, 1975 (vs. Michigan)
Ka’Deem Carey’s 16 consecutive games with at least 100 yards rushing stands as a Pac-12 record.
Former Pac-12 Networks analyst Rick Neuheisel said it best about Ka’Deem Carey’s remarkable feat on the air after the 2013 season:
“I don’t know what you say about a guy who 16 times in a row goes for 100 yards when everybody in the stadium knows he’s getting the ball almost every down. I don’t know what you say about that. A phenom. A true phenom.”
Carey’s conference- and school-record performance started with a bang: His 366-yard performance on Colorado on Nov. 10, 2012, at Arizona Stadium. The stretch did not necessarily mean victories for Arizona — the Wildcats went 10-6 during it — but it kept us captivated from one game to the next to see how many 100-yard games he could stretch together.
Arizona overall amassed an incredible 20-game streak extending into the first three games of the 2014 season.
The record is Carey’s 13th that was listed in this countdown, the most by any Arizona player.
KA’DEEM CAREY’S 100-YARD STREAK
*-Neutral site bowl games.
Previous records by Carey listed in this countdown:
4. Most Rushing Yards, Game: 366 yards, vs. Colorado, Nov. 10, 2012
19. Most Touchdowns Rushing, Game: 5, vs. Colorado, Nov. 10, 2012
25. Most Rushing Yards, Season: 1,929, 2012 (303 attempts)
26. Most Touchdown Rushing, Season: 23, 2012
33. Most Rushing Touchdowns, Career: 48, 2011-13
37. Most Rushing Yards, Career: 4,239, 2011-13 (743 rushes)
41. Most Touchdowns Scored, Career: 52, 2011-13 (36 games, 48 rushing, 4 receiving)
58. Most Games Gained 100 Yards Rushing, Career: 22, 2011-13 (36 games)
59. Touchdowns Scored, Game: 5, vs. Colorado, 2012, tied with Art Luppino, vs. New Mexico St., 1954
60. All-Purpose Yards Gained, Career: 5,483, 2011-13
73. All-Purpose Yards Gained, Game: 400, vs. Colorado, Nov. 10, 2012
80. Most Rushing Attempts, Game: 48, vs. Oregon, Nov. 23, 2013
ALLSPORTSTUCSON.com publisher, writer and editor Javier Morales is a former Arizona Press Club award winner. He is a former Arizona Daily Star beat reporter for the Arizona basketball team, including when the Wildcats won the 1996-97 NCAA title. He has also written articles for CollegeAD.com, Bleacher Report, Lindy’s Sports, TucsonCitizen.com, The Arizona Republic, Sporting News and Baseball America, among many other publications. He has also authored the book “The Highest Form of Living”, which is available at Amazon.