3A South: Sabino
2020 record: 2-0 before season was shut down due to COVID-19 protocols.
Head coach: Ryan McBrayer, 29-10 fifth year and overall at Sabino. Has a bachelor’s degree in history earned at Arizona. Teaches history at Sabino.
- WR/SS Savaughn Berryhill, 6-0, 180, Soph.
- RB Ken Blackman, 5-9, 170, Sr.
- WR/CB Kamden Gambrell, 5-10, 170, Sr.
- QB Cameron Hackworth, 5-9, 160, Soph.
- WR/FS Robert Maultsby, 6-1, 160, Sr.
- SS/RB Levi Miranda, 5-11, 180, Sr.
- WR/FS Dominik Parsons, 6-2, 170, Jr.
- WR/CB Derek Sanchez, 5-11, 170, Sr.
- OG/DE Logan Sowers, 5-10, 195, Sr.
- WR/FS Nezayah Stubblefield, 6-3, 175, Sr.
- OT/DT Jake Warman, 6-1, 220, Sr.
- Head coach: Ryan McBrayer
- Defensive coordinator: Ryan McBrayer
- Offensive coordinator: Sly Lewis
- Quarterbacks: Collin McBrayer
- Running backs: Vern Cooke
- Defensive tackles: Jon Jolls
- Offensive line: Bahren Perez and Mike Brown
- Secondary: Jason Welsh
- Linebackers: Ryan Burnison
- Quarterbacks/defensive ends: Eli Trainer
Notes: Gambrell is in the process of appealing for a hardship with the AIA to gain immediate eligibility after transferring from Salpointe Catholic. Gambrell led the Lancers with 21 receptions last season. He had 270 receiving yards with two touchdowns. If he does not win his appeal, he would have to sit out Sabino’s first five games and not be eligible until Oct. 1 when the Sabercats play at Sahuaro. He is coming off a serious ankle injury in January but has practiced with Sabino. … Hackworth and Berryhill were part of the Tucson Youth Football & Spirit Federation 14U All-Star team that played for a national title in Orlando in 2019. Berryhill is the younger brother of Arizona receiver Stanley Berryhill III. … Sabino has an abundance of players at skill positions, so much so that talented receiver Derek Sanchez, who earned AllSportsTucson.com Player of the Week honors last season, is slated to play mostly on defense. He collected two interceptions, including one for a touchdown, returned a kickoff 78 yards for a TD and pulled in a 36-yard TD reception to help lead the Sabercats in a win over Empire. The week previously, he caught touchdown passes of 60 and 40 yards in the last 51 seconds to help Sabino top Sahuaro 27-23.
FOLLOW @JAVIERJMORALES ON TWITTER!
ALLSPORTSTUCSON.com publisher, writer and editor Javier Morales is a former Arizona Press Club award winner. He is a former Arizona Daily Star beat reporter for the Arizona basketball team, including when the Wildcats won the 1996-97 NCAA title. He has also written articles for CollegeAD.com, Bleacher Report, Lindy’s Sports, TucsonCitizen.com, The Arizona Republic, Sporting News and Baseball America, among many other publications. He has also authored the book “The Highest Form of Living”, which is available at Amazon. He became an educator five years ago and is presently a special education teacher at Gallego Fine Arts Intermediate in the Sunnyside Unified School District