ACCESS ALLSPORTSTUCSON.COM’s SERIES LOOKING AT ALL THE LOCAL HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL SCHEDULES BY CLICKING HERE
2021 RECORD: 2-7
- Buena remains in the 5A Southern, a region that looks much different than last year. The only schools that remain from last year are Buena, Mountain View and Desert View. Salpointe is gone to 6A while Tucson High, at the 6A level in recent years, is now in the 5A Southern. Flowing Wells is now in the 5A Sonoran and Cienega and Ironwood Ridge have shifted from the 5A Sonoran to the 5A Southern.
- Buena has scheduled Phoenix-area teams in recent years, including Goldwater and Mountain Pointe last season, but the Colts will play exclusively a Southern Arizona schedule in 2022.
- Joe Thomas, in his eighth season as the Colts’ coach, will not have to coach his team in back-to-back road games all year.
- Three of Buena’s region games are on the road — Cienega, Tucson High and Ironwood Ridge. Mountain View and Desert View will travel to Sierra Vista.
- Cienega, Ironwood Ridge and Desert View reached the 5A state playoffs last year. The Colts’ top non-region game is when Marana visits Sierra Vista on Sept. 9.
FOLLOW @JAVIERJMORALES ON TWITTER!
ALLSPORTSTUCSON.com publisher, writer and editor Javier Morales is a former Arizona Press Club award winner. He is a former Arizona Daily Star beat reporter for the Arizona basketball team, including when the Wildcats won the 1996-97 NCAA title. He has also written articles for CollegeAD.com, Bleacher Report, Lindy’s Sports, TucsonCitizen.com, The Arizona Republic, Sporting News and Baseball America, among many other publications. He has also authored the book “The Highest Form of Living”, which is available at Amazon. He became an educator five years ago and is presently a special education teacher at Gallego Fine Arts Intermediate in the Sunnyside Unified School District.