Information provided by Arizona’s media-relations department:
Freshman Kailyn Gilbert scored a career-high 25 points on 9-of-13 shooting and Madison Conner hit five 3-pointers and finished with a career-best 22 points as No. 15 Arizona beat Cal Baptist 83-61 Friday night to start 5-0 for the fiifth straight season.
Arizona will next play host San Diego (4-2) on Saturday at 5 p.m. in the San Diego Thanksgiving Tournament.
Jade Loville hit a jumper and Conner took a steal coast-to-coast for a layup, then hit a 3-pointer that gave Arizona a 14-point lead with 8 minutes to play. Conner scored the last of her 10 fourth-quarter points when she made a 3-pointer and jumper 38 seconds apart to make it 73-59 with 4:30 remaining.
The Wildcats led by double figures the rest of the way.
Gilbert, whose previous career-high was 16 points in Arizona’s 87-47 win over Cal State Northridge on Nov. 11, scored 17 on 7-of-9 shooting, 3 of 5 from 3-point range, in the first half as the Wildcats took a 34-26 lead into the break.
Arizona stretched its lead to 16 points when Connor hit a 3-pointer with 2:14 left in the third quarter before Cal Baptist (2-3) made back-to-back in an 8-0 run to pull to 56-49 going into the fourth.
Esmery Martinez had 10 rebounds to go with seven points, three assists and two steals for the Wildcats.
– With its 13 steals against the Lancers, Arizona has grabbed at least 12 steals in four games this season.
– The Wildcats have forced at least 20 turnovers in every game this season.
– Gilbert’s 25 points in the game is the fourth-most in a single game by a Wildcat freshman since at least the 2009-10 season.
– Senior Lauren Fields set a season-high for rebounds with six.
– Conner additionally set a career-high in rebounds with six and tied her career-high number of steals with three.