Sunnyside world-class wrestler Audrey Jimenez continues to make history while helping the Blue Devils keep winning prestigious events.
A week after earning her second consecutive title in the Mile High Challenge at Prescott Valley against male competition, Jimenez earned the 106-pound title Saturday also against males in the 56th Annual Peoria Tournament of Champions at Peoria High School. She is the first female champ in the event’s history.
The Blue Devils won the team competition with 404.5 points, well ahead of second-place Mesa Mountain View (196 points).
Mesa Mountain View is coached by Nick Frost, a four-time state champion at Salpointe from 1996-99 who went on to wrestle at Arizona State.
Tucson High finished 10th with 86 points and Ironwood Ridge 13th with 79.
Jimenez defeated Angelo Martinez of Mesquite by fall in 3:46 to win the 106-pound championship and finish a 4-0 run on Friday and Saturday. Three wins were by fall and the other by major decision.
She is one of 10 Sunnyside wrestlers who won a title out of the 14 weight classes. The Blue Devils won 10 individual championships last week en route to capturing the Mile High Challenge championship.
Sunnyside champions with their weight class in the Peoria Tournament of Champions:
- 106 – Audrey Jimenez
- 113 – Sean Archuleta
- 120 – James Armstrong
- 126 – Sergio Vega
- 132 – Carlos Stanton
- 138 – Aydn Bostick
- 144 – Cristian Rivera
- 157 – Job Lee
- 165 – Mike Avelar
- 175 – Nicholas Piña
Vega improved to 26-0 this season by going 5-0 in the Peoria Tournament of Champions with all the wins by fall. A sophomore, he has a 66-0 record in his two years with Sunnyside.
His championship in the 126-pound class Saturday was over Ironwood Ridge’s Inzo Spina by fall in 3:18.
Spina reached the championship by defeating Micah Madson of Scottsdale Horizon in the semifinals earlier Saturday by a 6-2 decision.
Piña defeated Tucson High’s James Ofeciar in the 175-pound semifinals by a hard-fought 4-3 decision before winning the championship match by major decision 11-3 over Kayden Romero of Desert Ridge.
The Flowing Wells Invitational, which was held at the Tucson Convention Center last year, will return to Flowing Wells High School on Friday and Saturday because of a scheduling conflict with the Tucson Roadrunners minor-league hockey team.
Sunnyside is one of the 40 high schools that will compete in the Flowing Wells Invitational.
Full results of the Sunnyside wrestlers who won a title Saturday in the Peoria Tournament of Champions:
Audrey Jimenez (24-4)
- Round 1 – Jimenez received a bye
- Round 2 – Jimenez won by fall over Joey Winkler (Desert Mountain) 10-8 (Fall 0:28)
- Quarterfinal – Jimenez won by fall over Timoth Cabecera (Cesar Chavez) 5-3 (Fall 3:14)
- Semifinal – Jimenez won by major decision over Gabe Garcia (Sandra Day OConnor Hs) 21-6 (MD 15-3)
- Final – Jimenez won by fall over Angelo Martinez (Mesquite) 28-5 (Fall 3:46)
Sean Archuleta (22-6)
- Round 1 – Archuleta won by fall over Richard Ramos (Deer Valley) 11-6 (Fall 2:42)
- Round 2 – Archuleta won by fall over Cash LaFlesch (Perry) 0-1 (Fall 2:34)
- Quarterfinal – Archuleta won by fall over Ryan Miller (Willow Canyon) 15-11 (Fall 0:30)
- Semifinals – Archuleta won by fall over Thomas Smith (Desert Ridge) 23-6 (Fall 3:29)
- Finals – Archuleta won by decision over Caden Leyba (Centennial) 18-4 (Dec 7-4)
James Armstrong (24-4)
- Round 1 – Armstrong won by fall over Eli Maturin (Millennium) 11-5 (Fall 1:00)
- Round 2 – Armstrong won by fall over isiah favela (Desert Sunrise) 7-6 (Fall 0:50)
- Quarterfinals – Armstrong won by fall over Connor Cochran (Perry) 19-9 (Fall 2:20)
- Semifinals – Armstrong won by fall over Trevor Ouellette (Mesquite) 35-6 (Fall 0:50)
- Finals – Armstrong won by major decision over Vonn Fenn (Thunderbird) 23-3 (MD 9-0)
Sergio Vega (26-0)
- Round 1 – Vega won by fall over Xavier Ojeda (Millennium) 1-5 (Fall 1:03)
- Round 2 – Vega won by fall over Gavin Huerta-Garcia (Sunrise Mountain) 1-2 (Fall 0:18)
- Quarterfinal – Vega won by fall over Caleb Leyvas (Centennial) 13-4 (Fall 1:25)
- Semifinal – Vega won by fall over Mathew Trinidad (Desert Ridge) 18-5 (Fall 3:00)
- Final – Vega won by fall over Enzo Spina (Ironwood Ridge) 24-2 (Fall 3:18)
Carlos Stanton (25-2)
- Round 1 – Stanton won by fall over Oscar Delgado (Valley Vista) 12-10 (Fall 1:39)
- Round 2 – Stanton won by fall over tyler gray (Marcos De Niza) 6-6 (Fall 1:33)
- Quarterfinal – Stanton won by tech fall over Ferrin Goldstein (Perry) 10-3 (TF-1.5 0:00 (15-0))
- Semifinal – Stanton won by forfeit over Ashton Woodhead (Sandra Day OConnor Hs) 18-8 (For.)
- Final – Stanton won by fall over Logan Lopez (Horizon) 24-5 (Fall 2:39)
Adyn Bostick (22-3)
- Round 1 – Bostick won by fall over Porter Hernandez (Cesar Chavez) 2-1 (Fall 0:29)
- Round 2 – Bostick won by fall over Alex Hernandez (Deer Valley) 14-7 (Fall 0:52)
- Quarterfinal – Bostick won by major decision over Eli Conde (Mesquite) 20-6 (MD 12-2)
- Semifinal – Bostick won by major decision over Matthew Hernandez (Horizon) 23-6 (MD 11-2)
- Final – Bostick won by fall over Damien Rios (Safford) 14-2 (Fall 2:00)
Cristian Rivera (24-1)
- Round 1 – Rivera received a bye
- Round 2 – Rivera won by fall over Henry Lines (Willow Canyon) 19-17 (Fall 0:53)
- Quarterfinal – Rivera won by fall over Hamza Salehi (Tucson Magnet) 4-4 (Fall 1:38)
- Semifinal – Rivera won by major decision over Jordan Beauvais (Ironwood) 25-5 (MD 9-0)
- Final – Rivera won by decision over Shawn Bamba (Peoria) 30-2 (Dec 7-0)
Job Lee (25-3)
- Round 1 – Lee won by fall over Kai Langlais (Ironwood Ridge) 22-7 (Fall 1:48)
- Round 2 – Lee won by fall over Vinnie Ciummo (Thunderbird) 8-10 (Fall 0:32)
- Quarterfinal – Lee won by fall over Austin Beachler (Centennial) 9-4 (Fall 0:27)
- Semifinal – Lee won by fall over Lucas Reza (Servite) 4-2 (Fall 1:30)
- Final – Lee won by decision over Delton Kaufman (Mountain View Hs (Mesa)) 27-1 (Dec 9-2)
Mike Avelar (25-3)
- Round 1 – Avelar won by fall over Spencer Fitzgerald (Mountain Ridge) 6-16 (Fall 0:33)
- Round 2 – Avelar won by fall over Lincoln Torgeson (Ironwood Ridge) 23-8 (Fall 0:36)
- Quarterfinal – Avelar won by major decision over Armando Ybarra (Mountain View Hs (Mesa)) 11-2 (MD 15-7)
- Semifinal – Avelar won by forfeit over Luis Pichardo (Marcos De Niza) 25-5 (For.)
- Final – Avelar won by decision over Trent Wikel (Desert Mountain) 24-1 (Dec 10-3)
Nicholas Piña (24-3)
- Round 1 – Piña won by fall over Tyler Potts (Sunrise Mountain) 1-1 (Fall 2:45)
- Round 2 – Piña won by fall over Josh Yustinich (Valley Vista) 10-9 (Fall 0:57)
- Quarterfinal – Piña won by major decision over Josh Thompson (Mountain View Hs (Mesa)) 21-8 (MD 10-2)
- Semifinal – Piña won by decision over James Ofeciar (Tucson Magnet) 19-4 (Dec 4-3)
- Final – Piña won by major decision over Kayden Romero (Desert Ridge) 23-6 (MD 11-3)