Information from the Arizona media relations department contributed to this report:
Fourteen runs on 12 hits, including Donta’ Williams’ first home run of the season, powered the Arizona Wildcats to a bounce-back victory over Air Force on Sunday at Hi Corbett Field.
The Wildcats (12-4) notched a 14-5 victory to seal a series split and finish the weekend 2-2 against Wichita State and Air Force. They begin their Pac-12 season Friday with the start of a three-game series at UCLA.
Arizona took a 4-0 lead after three innings on Sunday, only to see the lead disappear after Air Force (6-6) plated four in the top of the fourth to even the game.
The Wildcats responded with five runs in the fifth, two more in the sixth, and polished off the effort with two more in the eighth.
Starting pitcher TJ Nichols worked 4 1/3 innings and allowed four runs while striking out seven. He sat down the first nine Air Force batters he faced before running into trouble in the fourth inning. Nichols did not factor into the decision.
14-5 Cats! pic.twitter.com/WQP06ELvby
— Jay Johnson (@UACoachJ) March 15, 2021
The Wildcats bullpen, led by Preston Price, limited the Falcons to just two hits and one run over the final 4 2/3 innings. He picked up the win and is 1-0.
Top Arizona batters against Air Force on Sunday:
- SS Jacob Blas: 3-for-5, 4 R, 2 RBIs
- CF Donta’ Williams: 2-for-2, 4 R, HR (1), 2 RBIs, BB
- DH Jacob Berry: 1-for-4, 2 R, 2B, RBI, BB
- 3B Tony Bullard: 1-for-2, R, 2 RBIs, BB
- C Kaden Hopson: 1-for-4, R, 2B, 2 RBIs, BB
Click here for Sunday’s box score.
Arizona’s statistical leaders entering Pac-12 play:
- Batting average: Branden Boissiere .464
- Hits: Boissiere 26
- Doubles: Ryan Holgate 7
- Triples: Blake Paugh 2
- Home runs: Two with 3 (Boissiere and Berry)
- Stolen bases: Three with 2 (Holgate, Williams and Blas)
- Wins: Nichols (3-0)
- Saves: Three with 2 (Price, Vince Vannelle and Quinn Flanagan)
- Innings pitched: Chase Silseth 23 2/3 innings
- ERA starters: Nichols 3.24 in 16 2.3 innings
- ERA relievers: Price 1.00 in 9 innings
- Strikeouts: Silseth 26
- Opposing batting average starters: Nichols .238
- Opposing batting average relievers: Riley Cooper .143