2A San Pedro: Bisbee
2020 record: 1-6 in season shortened by COVID-19 with an affected roster size. The Pumas went 8-3 overall and 4-1 in region play in 2019.
Head coach: Brian Vertrees, 18-21, fifth season at Bisbee and overall. Vertrees is the son of former Bisbee coach Chris Vertrees. He was raised in Bisbee and played on the offensive line for the Pumas. He is teaching an AVID (Advancement Via Individual Determination) Elective class at Bisbee High School.
- RB/LB Diego Chavez, 5-10, 175, Jr.
- RB/FS Geoffrey Gribble, 6-1, 180, Sr.
- WR/CB David Chapman, 5-7, 135, Soph.
- OT/DT EJ Hernandez, 6-2, 280, Sr.
- RB/LB Cody Ricketson, 5-10, 195, Sr.
- DE/G Edward Holly, 6-4, 265, Sr.
- RB/LB Oscar Mendoza, 5-10, 180, Sr.
- C/DT Luis Valdez, 6-2, 310, Sr.
- C/DT Chris Contreras, 5-8, 225, Sr.
- PK/P/DE Camden Miller, Sr., 6-2, 210, Sr.
- Head coach/offensive coordinator/quarterbacks: Brian Vertrees
- Associate head coach/wide receivers: Bobby Coronado
- Running backs: Adrian Borquez
- Co-defensive coordinator/defensive ends: Duane Barrow
- Co-defensive coordinator: Danny Barrow
- Offensive/defensive lines: Ed Holly Sr.
- Defensive backs: Aaron Farmer
- Special teams: Doug Odom
Notes: RB/LB Diego Chavez is one of the best athletes at the 2A level in the state, leading the Pumas with 566 yards on 114 carries in Bisbee’s seven games. Chavez also compiled 37 tackles as a linebacker. … A couple of players to watch on the defensive line — DT EJ Hernandez (6-foot-2 and 280 pounds) and DE Edward Holly (6-4 and 265 pounds). Hernandez is the leading returner in tackles with 47 that included 12 sacks. Holly had 33 tackles and five sacks. This production occurred in only a seven-game season because of COVID-19. …. Special teams coach Doug Odum has head coaching experience at Acton (Calif.) Vasquez and Lucerne Valley (Calif.) high schools and as the girls basketball head coach at Nogales. He most recently was the head coach At Lucerne Valley. Odum is coaching P/PK Camden Miller, who can make 40- to 50-yard field goals consistently. At 6-2 and 210, Miller also has good size, which sets him up well for the college game. Brings back memories of the late Mitch Hoopes, a Bisbee graduate was a standout punter for Arizona who went on to play with the Dallas Cowboys. … Freshman QB Sebastian Lopez appears ready to be the starter when the Pumas host Catalina on Friday. He is 6-foot and 150 pounds. Bisbee coach Brian Vertrees said the last Bisbee freshman to start at quarterback was Aaron Farmer in 2005. Farmer is now the defensive backs coach for the Pumas.
FOLLOW @JAVIERJMORALES ON TWITTER!
ALLSPORTSTUCSON.com publisher, writer and editor Javier Morales is a former Arizona Press Club award winner. He is a former Arizona Daily Star beat reporter for the Arizona basketball team, including when the Wildcats won the 1996-97 NCAA title. He has also written articles for CollegeAD.com, Bleacher Report, Lindy’s Sports, TucsonCitizen.com, The Arizona Republic, Sporting News and Baseball America, among many other publications. He has also authored the book “The Highest Form of Living”, which is available at Amazon. He became an educator five years ago and is presently a special education teacher at Gallego Fine Arts Intermediate in the Sunnyside Unified School District