ACCESS ALLSPORTSTUCSON.COM’s SERIES LOOKING AT ALL THE LOCAL HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL SCHEDULES BY CLICKING HERE
DESERT VIEW JAGUARS
2021 RECORD: 10-2 (lost in 5A state quarterfinals at Desert Edge)
- Robert Bonillas enters his 11th season as the Jaguars’ head coach after achieving a school-record 10 wins and going to the quarterfinals of the state playoffs last fall.
- Because of that success, high expectations will be placed on this year’s team, and the schedule is demanding at the start opening against district rival Sunnyside following with games at Willow Canyon and CDO before having a bye week.
- Willow Canyon, located in Surprise, did not make the 5A state playoffs last year but the Wildcats finished 7-3. Willow Canyon assistant Felix Jamero is a former assistant at Desert View under Bonillas. Anton Jamero, Felix’s son, was a talented linebacker who played at Desert View. Another prospect in the family — linebacker Jevon Jamero — will be a junior with Willow Canyon in 2022 after playing with Desert View’s JV team as a freshman in 2020. Felix Jamero is also a former head coach at Santa Rita.
- CDO returns nearly everyone from its 7-5 team that reached the 4A state quarterfinals under Dustin Peace.
- Desert View has only two home games by Oct. 21, when it hosts Tucson, a new member of the 5A Southern after being at the 6A level in recent years. The Jaguars finish playing three of their last four games at home including games against Tucson, Cienega and Mountain View.
- The schedule works out that Desert View does not have to take two long trips to the northwest side of Tucson in regional play. The Jaguars open the 5A Southern at Ironwood Ridge and finish at home against Mountain View of Marana.
- Bonillas returns to his alma mater, Nogales, to coach against the Apaches on Oct. 7. It was from his career with Nogales that he went on to play tight end for Arizona under Dick Tomey. Bonillas also was the head coach at Nogales. His wife Aissa is a principal within the Nogales Unified School District.
FOLLOW @JAVIERJMORALES ON TWITTER!
ALLSPORTSTUCSON.com publisher, writer and editor Javier Morales is a former Arizona Press Club award winner. He is a former Arizona Daily Star beat reporter for the Arizona basketball team, including when the Wildcats won the 1996-97 NCAA title. He has also written articles for CollegeAD.com, Bleacher Report, Lindy’s Sports, TucsonCitizen.com, The Arizona Republic, Sporting News and Baseball America, among many other publications. He has also authored the book “The Highest Form of Living”, which is available at Amazon. He became an educator five years ago and is presently a special education teacher at Gallego Fine Arts Intermediate in the Sunnyside Unified School District.