ACCESS ALLSPORTSTUCSON.COM’s SERIES LOOKING AT ALL THE LOCAL HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL SCHEDULES BY CLICKING HERE
CATALINA FOOTHILLS FALCONS
2021 RECORD: 7-5
- Year Two of the Daniel Sainz Era at Catalina Foothills will include an extremely difficult non-region schedule before opening play in the 4A Gila on Oct. 14 against visiting Amphi.
- Catalina Foothills is hungry to make the 4A state playoffs after not advancing to the postseason last year despite winning the 4A Gila title with a 4-0 record.
- The Falcons will play exclusively Southern Arizona non-region opponents and they should all provide tough competition. The Falcons’ first three games are at home against 5A Southern power Cienega on Sept. 2, 3A South title contender Pusch Ridge on Sept. 9 and at burgeoning program Mica Mountain on Sept. 23. Sainz’s team then hosts Tucson, which is moving from the 6A to 5A this season, and then travels to 4A Kino favorite CDO.
- Next comes the 4A Gila schedule with home games against Amphi (Oct. 14), Rio Rico (Oct. 28) and Walden Grove (Nov. 11). The two region road games are with Sahuarita (Oct. 21) and Sahuaro (Nov. 4).
- Sahuaro’s switch from 4A Kino to 4A Gila means Sainz will coach against the school he was part of for 10 years as an assistant. The game at Sahuaro should bring back a lot of memories for Sainz, who was with Scott McKee’s staff through the duration.
- Another interesting matchup: Sainz will coach against Rio Rico’s legendary coach Jeff Scurran. Sainz was a senior center listed at 5-foot-11 and 180 pounds at Santa Rita when Scurran coached the Eagles to the state championship game in 2008.
FOLLOW @JAVIERJMORALES ON TWITTER!
ALLSPORTSTUCSON.com publisher, writer and editor Javier Morales is a former Arizona Press Club award winner. He is a former Arizona Daily Star beat reporter for the Arizona basketball team, including when the Wildcats won the 1996-97 NCAA title. He has also written articles for CollegeAD.com, Bleacher Report, Lindy’s Sports, TucsonCitizen.com, The Arizona Republic, Sporting News and Baseball America, among many other publications. He has also authored the book “The Highest Form of Living”, which is available at Amazon. He became an educator five years ago and is presently a special education teacher at Gallego Fine Arts Intermediate in the Sunnyside Unified School District.