ACCESS ALLSPORTSTUCSON.COM’s SERIES LOOKING AT ALL THE LOCAL HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL SCHEDULES BY CLICKING HERE
2021 RECORD: 3-6
- Jake Allen is entering his third season as Pueblo’s coach even though the Warriors have only 10 games under him in his first two years because of COVID-19 protocol.
- Pueblo’s schedule is a difficult one with a majority of the games on the road — only four home games. Five of the Warriors’ first seven games are away from Saturnino “Curly” Santa Cruz Field.
- The non-region slate has Cholla (as the opening opponent at home Sept. 9), followed by games at Safford (Sept. 16), Walden Grove (Sept. 23) and Amphi (Sept. 30) before returning home against Sahuarita Oct. 7. Safford is a perennial 3A South power that finished 6-5 last year including a win at Pueblo.
- Pueblo is in the 4A Kino along with CDO, Douglas, Empire, Mica Mountain and Vista Grande. The Warriors play their first two games in the region against Vista Grande (Oct. 14) and CDO (Oct. 21) before playing consecutive games at home against Mica Mountain (Oct. 28) and Douglas (Nov. 4). The regular-season finale is at Empire on Nov. 11.
- The game between Pueblo and Mica Mountain will be interesting considering both schools have the same color schemes — Carolina blue, black and white.
- The game with Sahuarita will feature two former Matt Johnson assistants named Jake – Jake Allen worked with Johnson at Ironwood Ridge and Mountain View and Sahuarita coach Jake Price with Johnson at Mountain View. Price actually coached Allen when Allen attended Ironwood Ridge and they coached together as part of Johnson’s staff at Mountain View in 2019.
FOLLOW @JAVIERJMORALES ON TWITTER!
ALLSPORTSTUCSON.com publisher, writer and editor Javier Morales is a former Arizona Press Club award winner. He is a former Arizona Daily Star beat reporter for the Arizona basketball team, including when the Wildcats won the 1996-97 NCAA title. He has also written articles for CollegeAD.com, Bleacher Report, Lindy’s Sports, TucsonCitizen.com, The Arizona Republic, Sporting News and Baseball America, among many other publications. He has also authored the book “The Highest Form of Living”, which is available at Amazon. He became an educator five years ago and is presently a special education teacher at Gallego Fine Arts Intermediate in the Sunnyside Unified School District.