Jeff Scurran Career Coaching RecordAn overall look at the coaching career of Jeff Scurran (information compiled by AllSportsTucson.com)
|1970-71||Atlanta (Ga.) Moreland School||20-0|
|1978||Tahoe-Truckee (Calif.) High School||3-5-1|
|1981||Dalles (Ore.) Wahtonka High School||9-2|
|1982-83||Portland (Ore.) West Linn High School||9-10|
|1984-86||Canyon del Oro High School||28-10|
|1988-99||Sabino High School||127-27-1||3 state titles|
|2001-04||Pima Community College||26-17|
|2007-09||Santa Rita High School||34-7||2 state runner-up|
|2012||Guelfi Firenze (Italy) Pro Team||9-1|
|2013-18||Catalina Foothills High School||44-24||1 state runner-up|
|2022||Rio Rico High School|
|Total||Tucson high schools||233-42-1||.846|
|Total||All high schools||254-59-2||.809|
ACCESS ALLSPORTSTUCSON.COM’s SERIES LOOKING AT ALL THE LOCAL HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL SCHEDULES BY CLICKING HERE
RIO RICO HAWKS
2021 RECORD: 0-8
- Legendary Jeff Scurran is trying to achieve another major rebuilding job after experiencing success in a similar way at Sabino, CDO, Santa Rita, Catalina Foothills and Pima College. If Scurran’s history is any indication, Rio Rico is in for something special after finishing 0-8 last season. Scurran, 74, has taken over winless programs the previous season at Dalles (Ore.) Wahtonka High School, Santa Rita and Catalina Foothills and has taken them to the state playoffs immediately in his first season.
- Rio Rico opens the season Sept. 2 hosting rival Nogales, which has never lost to the Hawks in 13 games. After a bye week, Rio Rico will have two opportunities for bonding with long road trips to Flagstaff (Sept. 16) and Douglas (Sept. 23). The non-region schedule ends with home games against Vista Grande (Sept. 30) and Empire (Oct. 7). Flagstaff is coming off a 4-6 season. Nogales, Douglas, Vista Grande and Empire also had losing records last season.
- Rio Rico is in the 4A Gila after it was nearly moved to 3A. It required an appeal of Rio Rico to stay at the 4A level, which from a competitive standpoint, was a good appeal by the school. Programs at 3A were very competitive last season and Rio Rico would have been required to make regular long trips to places like Safford, Thatcher, Pusch Ridge in Oro Valley and Sabino to the far northeast side of Tucson.
- Rio Rico has three region road games with nearby Sahuarita (Oct. 14), Catalina Foothills (Oct. 28) and Amphi (Nov. 4). The home games are against Walden Grove (Oct. 21) and Sahuaro (Nov. 11).
- The game at Catalina Foothills will mark the return of Scurran there after he went 44-24 in six seasons from 2013-18. He will also coach against his former center at Santa Rita — Daniel Saenz, who is in his second year as Catalina Foothills’ coach.
FOLLOW @JAVIERJMORALES ON TWITTER!
ALLSPORTSTUCSON.com publisher, writer and editor Javier Morales is a former Arizona Press Club award winner. He is a former Arizona Daily Star beat reporter for the Arizona basketball team, including when the Wildcats won the 1996-97 NCAA title. He has also written articles for CollegeAD.com, Bleacher Report, Lindy’s Sports, TucsonCitizen.com, The Arizona Republic, Sporting News and Baseball America, among many other publications. He has also authored the book “The Highest Form of Living”, which is available at Amazon. He became an educator five years ago and is presently a special education teacher at Gallego Fine Arts Intermediate in the Sunnyside Unified School District.