ACCESS ALLSPORTSTUCSON.COM’s SERIES LOOKING AT ALL THE LOCAL HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL SCHEDULES BY CLICKING HERE
WALDEN GROVE RED WOLVES
2021 RECORD: 4-6
- Walden Grove will look to get back to winning after finishing 4-6 last year under coach Corey Noble, It was only three years ago, in the pre-pandemic era, that Walden Grove finished 9-3 and advanced to the state playoffs.
- The Red Wolves’ non-region schedule last year was a very ambitious one playing El Cajon (Calif.) Granite Hills, Glendale Deer Valley and Phoenix Greenway — all of them losses. They again will be challenged early playing at CDO in the season-opener Sept. 2 before hosting Greenway, which was 5-4 last year including a 33-23 win at Walden Grove.
- A visit to Arizona College Prep (5-5 last season) on Sept. 16 is followed by a home game against Pueblo (Sept. 23). Following a bye week, Walden Grove then plays at Mountain View (Oct. 7) in the last game of non-region portion of the schedule.
- Walden Grove will compete in the 4A Gila with Sahuaro, Rincon/University, Rio Rico, Sahuarita and Catalina Foothills. The Red Wolves host Sahuaro on Oct. 14 in their first region game. That’s followed by two games on the road against Rio Rico and Amphi and then two at home against Sahuarita and Catalina Foothills to close the regular season.
- The game against neighborhood rival Sahuarita is a much-anticipated one. They have not played each other since 2015. Sahuarita leads the brief series with a 3-0 record.
FOLLOW @JAVIERJMORALES ON TWITTER!
ALLSPORTSTUCSON.com publisher, writer and editor Javier Morales is a former Arizona Press Club award winner. He is a former Arizona Daily Star beat reporter for the Arizona basketball team, including when the Wildcats won the 1996-97 NCAA title. He has also written articles for CollegeAD.com, Bleacher Report, Lindy’s Sports, TucsonCitizen.com, The Arizona Republic, Sporting News and Baseball America, among many other publications. He has also authored the book “The Highest Form of Living”, which is available at Amazon. He became an educator five years ago and is presently a special education teacher at Gallego Fine Arts Intermediate in the Sunnyside Unified School District.