Sunnyside junior wrestler Audrey Jimenez won her second consecutive Mile High Challenge championship at 106 pounds, going against male competition, to earn the Jet Sports Training Female Athlete of the Month honor for December.
Jimenez completed her 5-0 run through the Mile High Challenge competition on Saturday night at the Findlay Toyota Center at Prescott Valley.
Her path to the championship on Friday and Saturday to improve to 20-4 this season:
- Round 1 – Jimenez won by major decision over Jovany Gomez (Gila Ridge) 2-1 (MD 11-2)
- Round 2 – Jimenez won by fall over Lyric Brooks (Chino Valley) 8-7 (Fall 3:47)
- Quarterfinal – Jimenez won by fall over Cayden Ray (Williams Field) 10-4 (Fall 1:50)
- Semifinal – Jimenez won by fall over Merrik Williams (Morenci) 17-4 (Fall 3:09)
- Final – Jimenez won by major decision over Christyian Owens (Mohave) 16-1 (MD 16-5)
Earlier in the month at the Reno (Nevada) Tournament of Champions, Jimenez won her first three matches in the 106-pound class against male competition before losing in the quarterfinals.
She is a two-time state champion who will try to make it three straight when the state championship matches are held Feb. 16-18 at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum.
FOLLOW @JAVIERJMORALES ON TWITTER!
ALLSPORTSTUCSON.com publisher, writer and editor Javier Morales is a former Arizona Press Club award winner. He is a former Arizona Daily Star beat reporter for the Arizona basketball team, including when the Wildcats won the 1996-97 NCAA title. He has also written articles for CollegeAD.com, Bleacher Report, Lindy’s Sports, TucsonCitizen.com, The Arizona Republic, Sporting News and Baseball America, among many other publications. He has also authored the book “The Highest Form of Living”, which is available at Amazon. He became an educator five years ago and is presently a special education teacher at Gallego Fine Arts Intermediate in the Sunnyside Unified School District.